Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Situation: #wrinklyoutfitproblems

We've all got our pet peeves.  I just happen to have more than the average person, making me super critical and kind of a harsh bitch.  Like some of my fellow BU Dance Team members (cough Mickey Main), I have a "Things I Don't Like" list that I recite often, as well as a "Things I Like" list to balance myself out.  Some of the items in the first list include cellulite, excessive PDA, the MBTA Green Line, and slow walkers.  On the other spectrum, my happy list consists of new shoes, the Jersey shore, and puppies, like my dog Baxter.

No, this is not a Star Wars ewok, it's my dog.
Pet peeves can really get the best of us.  I realized one of mine became super severe when I was packing for my recent spring break trip to the Bahamas: wrinkles.  Obviously, wrinkles fall under my "Things I Don't Like" list.

Even the word makes me wrinkle my face in disgust. (HA! Get it?)  Wrinkly clothes look trashy on even the classiest broad.  It's unprofessional and sloppy.  It's called IRONS, PEOPLE!!
As I pulled out my summer clothes from the large cheap bins hidden under my bed, I noticed a few things.  Thought #1: "I'm so happy I bought that maxi dress on sale at Anthropologie this winter, I can finally finally wear it!!!"  Thought #2: "I didn't diet nearly as much as I should have this month.  There's no way I won't look like a beached whale in that bikini."  Thought #3:  "Everything.  Is. Wrinkly."   At times like these, I: 1. begin to have a panic attack until I can get a grip and recover, then 2. retrive my mini iron and mini ironing board and go to WERK.

For those of you still living in a tiny dorm room or those who feel that a mini iron is not necessary, fear not.  Hair straighteners can get the job done just as well.  Some (like the one I stole from my mother before I left for college) are quite expensive, but others, I've found, really aren't too pricey.  And you can use it for two different tasks!  How green!

I've heard pretty great reviews about the Revlon Perfect Heat Professional Ceramic straightener, for $8.99 at Amazon.com.  It comes with one-inch-wide ceramic plates that heat quickly and evenly, and it has 25 different heat settings from which to choose.  I wish I could say I've tested it out, but as you would remember, I stole my mother's Chi straightener and it's held up well over my college years.


A few notes to point out before you go and straighten your favorite silk blouse:
  • Test out your straightener's settings on something less valuable just in case the temperature is too much for the fabric.
  • Don't hold your straightener in one spot (similar to an iron), it will probably burn your clothing.
  • Check your garment's label before you do anything with it.  If it's Dry Clean Only, I wouldn't try to iron it, especially if it was expensive.
Save yourself the embarrassment of wearing a wrinkly outfit to an interview or fun social event.  Save yourself the money you would have used to buy an iron and ironing board, and use the same straightener you use to fry your hair every day.  Really, you're killing two birds with one stone.  Yay for saving money!!!!

Do you know of any other cheap straighteners?  Have you used this little trick before?  Comment away!

No comments:

Post a Comment