Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Situation: #fakejewelryproblems

When the "statement jewelry" trend started back when I was in high school, I was obsessed.  I put all my silver necklaces, plain bracelets and stud earrings aside in my jewelry box, and made my mom buy me pieces of jewelry from places like Anthropologie, no matter how large or absurd they were.

My internship at Subversive Jewelry in New York City in the summer of 2010 amplified my statement jewelry fixation like crazy.  The other interns, who were interning there mainly to learn about the art of jewelry-making, taught me basic jewelry-making skills like how to connect jumprings, choose certain pliers and make the "backbone" for a Sunken Treasure necklace, Subversive Jewelry's most popular item.  I worked so hard to get better, and they finally allowed me to make my own piece.  This was the finished project:

Close-up view...
The whole necklace. Very Keira Knightley in Pirates of the Caribbean, right?
To my knowledge, it's still hanging up in the front of the store, and it's called the Ruby Sunken Treasure necklace.  It's available to rent for photo shoots if you're interested.

I wish I had the jewelry supplies to make more of these in the comforts of my own apartment, or the $575 to buy a Sunken Treasure necklace (or any piece of real silver or gold, for that matter), but I don't.  I'm cheap, and I'm broke.  (ugh.)  So, clever-little-me has a different jewelry option.  Envision a boutique with prices never reaching higher than $100 (ish).  I present to you: Bobbles and Lace.

Located on Newbury Street, Bobbles and Lace is too conveniently placed within a five minute walk from my internship at Cone Communications.  The store moved to its Newbury location this past year, but I first found Bobbles and Lace browsing through the North End with my roommate freshman year of college.  You know those "I think I know where I'm going!" walks through tight-knit Boston neighborhoods only end in one thing: desperately asking for directions.  Some very nice old man directed us back to Hanover Street, the main street in the North End of Boston, and Bobbles and Lace happened to be in our direct line of fire.  BIG mistake.



Over the past four years of college, I can't even imagine how much money I've spent in that store.  Not because they have expensive products, but because they have jewelry, purses, clutches, scarves, sunglasses, dresses, dress shirts, shoes, belts, wallets, headbands and more.  All for the most reasonable prices I've ever seen.  AND they have it all - fake David Yurman, chandelier earrings for prom, vintage pendant necklaces, large tribal pieces, and small sterling silver classics.  The best part about Bobbles and Lace is that they buy a few of each product (for clothes, a small, medium and large), and when something's gone, that's it.  They order new product ALL the time, keeping the store feeling fresh and original.

Jewelry lovers, beware: this store is a jewelry paradise.  It will, in fact, take you longer than an hour to look at every piece of jewelry in the store and make a purchase decision.  For such a small store, they really know how to squeeze in SO much product.  Don't try to make a quick in-and-out trip; you won't appreciate all the different types of jewelry and purses and shoes in the store.

Jewelry prices range from about $8-$50, and clothing ranges from $30-$70.  SO.  CHEAP.  I can't get enough.

What are your thoughts on Bobbles and Lace?  Have you spotted its small store on Newbury?  Comment away!

2 comments:

  1. where are your fav places to shop online for decent priced shoes and cool costume jewelry like in this post? (on a cheap undergrad budget!) and where r ur fav places to shop for clothes in boston?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! My personal favorites are Piperlime.com (which I will be writing a post about today or tomorrow), ASOS.com, and ALDO.com. Sometimes Rue La La and Gilt will have sales for really neat costume jewelry, but the prices vary from fairly cheap to pretty expensive while still on sale. As for clothes in Boston, I love Bobbles and Lace on Newbury for cute tops, dresses and skirts, the sale section of Urban Outfitters for random tanks and shirts, and H&M for plain-er staple items and business clothes.

      Delete