Sunday, March 18, 2012

Situation: #bigfeetbigsocksproblems

I'd like to give a shout-out to all my girls with big feet out there.  I feel your pain, I really really do.  It's a hard-knock life, for us.  You would think sock and shoe companies could get a grip.  It's a proven fact that the average human height is increasing, and sock and shoe companies have yet to realize they need to get bigger sizes of everything.  Is it really that hard??

I've been struggling with my Size 11 "Oh-wow-that's-like-the-same-size-as-Bigfoot" feet since my seventh grade growth spurt, and it hasn't been fun.  Finding the same ballet, tap, jazz, pointe, and character shoes as the rest of my dance company was always out of the question, and I looked extra manly during my glorious basketball days (no, really) with men's basketball sneakers.  We're talking a 13-year-old wearing Jordans because her feet didn't fit into women's basketball shoes.  Thankfully, there are no pictures of this.

Socks are a completely different problem.  I'm pretty sure the sock sizes at H&M, one of my all-time favorite stores, are either 5/6, 7/8 or an OCCASIONAL 9/10 (but usually not because I find them once in a blue moon).  Or they pretend that socks are "One Size Fits All," but how does that make sense when socks can only stretch so much and every single girl has a different shaped foot?

Ain't that the truth.
During the winter months when tall boots are necessary everyday - and in Boston, this really is EVERY day - tall socks are a must.  However, if you're a city speedwalker like I am, thick socks make my feet uncomfortable on those warmer-than-ice-cold days.  I've found the cheapest and most comfortable solution to this issue, AND these socks fit my feet.

I present: Style Essentials by L'eggs Knee High Day Sheer Leg Reinforced Toe Off knee highs in black.  Sounds like a mouthful, but they're the best.  $3.49 for a pack of five pairs.  And they're One Size Fits All... but for real.


Why they're the the best:

  1. They're super light (the same fabric as tights) and won't make your feet sweat when you're walking around in tall boots all day.
  2. The "leg reinforced" part of the description means that the knee highs don't fall down around your ankles.  Biggest.  Pet.  Peeve.  Ever.
  3. Less than $4.00 for five pairs of socks?!?!  That fit EVERYONE's feet?!  Sheer brilliance.  Super chic and super cheap.
Don't let the old lady packaging deter you from your purchase.  These knee highs have lasted me many winters of boot-wearing, and as long as you're careful putting them on and taking them off, they don't tear too easily.  They're also washer and dryer friendly, and they shrink back to their original size once you've worn a pair.

I don't know of anyone with larger feet than mine, so as far as I know, these knee highs fit Size 11 feet and smaller.  Who knew there was a "One Size Fits All" product that proved true advertising?

As of the Boston weather today, it looks like we won't be needing many pairs of boots for the rest of the season, but keep these knee highs close just in case.  If you know Boston weather, you know there's a possibility of snow in late March, and you won't want to be without these socks while you're sprinting to class in a mid-morning blizzard and you're huffing and puffing and sweating but wet and cold at the same time.  Of course it's never happened to me...

Do you know of any other durable knee highs?  I'm always looking for new brands.  Comment away!

2 comments:

  1. i thought this post was really funny because i have the same problem with the no show ankle socks. i have large feet and the one size fits all never fits me! do u have any suggestions as far as a brand of ankle socks that would fit? and also a random question, how tall are you? for wearing size 11 & seeing in ur about me your boyfriend is 6'7 i figured you must be really tall! i am 5'7 with my size 11 klonckers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm about 5'9", but I like telling people I'm 5'10". I actually haven't purchased ankle socks in a REALLY long time... I'm the kind of person who buys them and keeps them around for years and years. The socks in my socks drawer are probably from when I was in high school. The last time I bought some were at H&M I believe, and they fit really well.

      Delete