Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Cheap S%$T Pick of the Week: Hell's Kitchen Flea Market (New York, NY)

As most of you may be aware, I'm a Jersey girl.  However, because New Jersey cities are disgusting and full of bums, I've become familiar with New York City and its fast-paced way of life.

And I love am obsessed with it.

I am a firm believer that New York City is the greatest city in the world because it has SO much character, energy and eccentricity.  I knew this the moment I stepped outside Port Authority at the age of ten and a homeless man whacked me in the leg with a newspaper.  So maybe yeah, I was petrified and my mother yelled "DON'T TOUCH MY DAUGHTER" in front of all the misfortunate city-walkers on 8th Ave. that morning, but I knew there was something different about New York City.  I could just smell it.  Or maybe it was the angry homeless man.

"Concrete jungle where dreams are MAAADE OHH there's nothing you can't do..."
Flea marketing shopping in New York City is the best EVER, but a lot of little vintage markets or flea markets pop up only seasonally in Union Square next to the farmer's market or on the side streets of Greenwich Village.  I've only been to this flea market once, but I knew then and there that I would have to come back and explore all the different parts of it.  One of the most famous outdoor flea markets in New York, Hell's Kitchen Flea Market is open every Saturday and Sunday (weather permitting) from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm and is named one of the top ten shopping streets in the world by National Geographic.  How sick is that?

HKFM, 9th Ave, New York City

Located on West 39th Street between 9th and 10th Avenues, Hell's Kitchen Flea Market (HKFM for short) includes vendors selling antiques, small collectibles, vintage clothing, modern items like home decorations and furniture, plus a TON of food vendors.  My BU Dance Team teammate and I decided to try the Mozzarepa, a mozzarella "grilled cheese" sandwiched between two corn pancakes, and probably had enough calories to last us the rest of our NYC trip.

Bucu and me with the infamous Mozzarepas.
Two other markets associated with HKFM are the Antiques Garage, located at 112 West 25th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues, and the West 25th St. Market, just a few avenues down at West 25th St. (duh) between Broadway and 6th Ave.  The Antiques Garage attracts shoppers on Saturdays and Sundays, the same times as HKFM, with over 100 vendors on two floors selling eclectic antiques, art, and vintage items including jewelry, purses, fabrics, rugs, furniture and fine silver.  Similarly, the West 25th St. Market features up to 125 vendors who sell antiques, collectible items, and vintage and modern trinkets.  I haven't checked out those two places yet, but I plan to in the near future.

A list of vendors is on display on the HKFM website (here).  HKFM is always very social media savvy with the Twitter handle @NYCFleaMarkets updating the different vendors each weekend as well as re-tweeting some HKFM "favorite finds."  They also have a Tumblr page called "Flea Speech," "a lifestyle hub for Hell's Kitchen Flea Market, Antiques Garage and West 25th St shoppers" as the page so clearly states.

Presh.

I have a thing for street markets, I do admit, but the HKFM was such a fun experience.  Have you ever been to HKFM?  What was your experience like?  Comment away!

No comments:

Post a Comment