Sunday, March 25, 2012

Situation: #darkapartmentproblems

So maybe it's not so much a fashion problem, but the darkness of my apartment interferes with my ability to dress myself and pick out jewelry to wear, and THAT, my friends, is a huge problem.

Boston apartments suck.  Like real bad.  They're all super old, super dusty and super that's-so-three-decades-ago.  And all Boston apartments look the same, no matter what neighborhood (except for Dexter, of course).  Don't even get me started on the overpriced rent.  My older sister, who attends med school at UNC Chapel Hill, lived in this super CHIC apartment last year for about half the price I pay for my small dusty Boston apartment.

Chic.
Contemp.
Resourceful.
Presh.
One of the biggest problems I've had in my Boston apartment experience, and I've lived in two different apartments during my time at Boston University, is the lack of/poorly positioned lighting.  Each room in my current apartment has one small, useless light, and when the bulbs go out, our landlord decides that we can fix it ourselves.  Which is funny because we literally can not.

My solution to this: candles.  So simple and so chic.  Unless you have a sensitive smoke detector like my roommate and I did last year, candles will always make a room appear more fashionable, secluded and sexy.  And candles are CHEAP.  Matches are even cheaper (or free if you're the kind of person like me who steals them from nice restaurants).

Bed Bath and Beyond carries cheap candles, as I'm sure Walmart and Target do as well, but for those of you in Boston without the luxury of big cheap superstores, I suggest the Candle Classics (unscented) in three different sizes, ranging from $4.99-$9.99 in Ivory and White.  I have one of each size on my nightstand next to my bed, and it makes going to bed at night so much more relaxing than a bright desk lamp.  Plus, I feel more Sex and the City.
They're cute, they're simple, they're cheap and they match any room, no matter how colorful or messy it may be.  Bed Bath and Beyond also has some smaller votives if you're looking for more candles in smaller sizes, as well as candle holders and glass plates to put underneath the candles. 

Thanks to my candles, I can actually see the clothes I pick out to wear and if they match or not.  Who woulda thunk?

Do you know of more places with cheap candles?  Or do you think lamps trump candles?  Comment away!

No comments:

Post a Comment