Friday, March 2, 2012

Situation: #rippedpantsproblems

I love my dance team.  Any of my best friends at Boston University would attest to this, mostly because, well, my dance team consists of my best friends.  We all have different majors, different interests, and different tastes in music, but we all share the same passion to perform high energy dances in front of audiences.  This is us:


Aren't we cute?!  You don't see my team like this often.  You'll see this:


A mix of bros, gangsters, Asians, wannabe Asians, and nerds.  We struggle.  A lot.

The BU Dance Team performs at all men's and women's home basketball games, on-campus shows, and the NDA Collegiate Nationals competition down in Daytona, Florida.  Our last home game was this past Saturday, in which my mother showed up with a camera and decided she was the official dance team paparazzi.  Cute, mom.  I wasn't having it.  Before we went out onto the court, my teammate Lia happened to look down, and there was a tear the size of Texas right on the seam of her black shiny pants - an essential garment of the college dance team uniform.  She looked perplexed.  She thought she needed an entirely new pair of pants.  Nuh uh, girlfriend, I told her.  She needed a quick fix.

My team is heading off to Hartford, CT for the weekend to the America East basketball tournament in which the winner gets to go straight to the NCAA tournament.  I'm using the bus commute to save Lia's pants and be the Recessionista that I believe I can be.  Maybe I'll teach a few of my teammates what's up in the sewing world.  High school sewing classes with an 80-year-old hippie cat lady really paid off.

For quick sewing fixes, I always use my emergency sewing kit put together brilliantly by The Container Store - the ultimate control-freak mom store in which I happen to be a huge fan.  The Mini First Aid Kit and Mini Sewing Kit are lifesavers, and they are DIRT cheap.  I'm talking 6 bucks to save you the humiliation of having a hole in your pants.  How trashy is that?!



This mini kit contains a vial of needles, five colors of thread, safety pins, buttons, scissors, a pop-up thimble (if you're a grandma and still use a thimble), a yarn needle, and a needle threader - all in a clear case, so it's easy to find what you need quickly.  The kit is small and easy to stash away in your purse so you're never caught with your pants down (or... ripped) while you're out and about.  It's perfect for girls like my teammates who need a quick seam repair before a big weekend of performances.

Learning how to fix a seam is super easy, and it takes roughly 5 minutes for a quick fix.  Save yourself the embarrassment and get on that.  For real.

What other emergency sewing kits have you used?  Or do you find yourself throwing out clothes with small tears?


No comments:

Post a Comment