Friday, March 23, 2012

Cheap S%$T Pick of the Week: SoWa Open Market (Boston, MA)

BEANTOWN RAISE UP!!!!

Isn't it presh?
As any Boston University female student does, I like to think I'm a "Boston girl."  I go shopping on Newbury, I want to marry a Harvard doctor, and I think the Red Sox are, like, the best team ever (just kidding, I'm loyal to the Yankees, even though baseball is my least favorite sport of all time).  I've become accustomed to the Boston weather, even though it may change with the blink of an eye, and I've learned how to use the T, avoid slow-walkers on Comm. Ave., and understand the retahhhded Boston accent.  No offense, Boston, but it's not the cutest accent I've ever heard.

One stunning feature of Boston that I've only recently become aware of is SoWa.  Picture TONS of crafty vendors in a large square parking lot surrounded on two sides by the best food trucks in New England outside on a beautiful Sunday morning in Boston.  It.  Is.  Incredible.

SoWa Open Market
SoWa runs May 6th through October 28th on Sundays from about 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.  The market, which is conveniently located next to the SoWa Farmers' Market and Vintage Market, hosts a wide variety of vendors selling an even wider range of products.  Hand-crafted accessories, t-shirts, original art, indie designer clothing, fresh bread, flowers, jewelry, handbags, you name it.  You may see something one Sunday, come back the next Sunday, and a whole new batch of vendors may be there.  And that's the beauty of it.  ALL for reasonable prices, and most often than not, you come face-to-face with the brilliant artist who designed your new favorite t-shirt/necklace/purse/trinket/art piece.

The best part about SoWa isn't even the flea market - it's the food trucks that park alongside the market.  It's literally Food Truck Heaven.  Every Sunday, about a dozen trucks roll in to sell the best in gourmet mobile food.  Some of the more popular trucks that attend are The Cupcakory, Bon Me, Clover, Roxy's Grilled Cheese, Grilled Cheese Nation, as well as many other delicious on-the-go food options.  The first time I went to SoWa, I got a Mini Lobster Slider from a seafood truck that I haven't seen since as well as Edamame and homemade Blueberry Soda from Bon Me.

The orange-est truck I've ever seen.

Dear Mini Lobster Slider, I'll be seeing you again this summer.
Located in South Boston, SoWa is just a T ride and a 20-minute walk away from students around the Boston University campus.  I usually take the T to Copley, and then walk south down to Harrison Ave.  Especially in the summer, the walk is great through the cute little South Boston neighborhoods, and there are fantastic restaurants and stores all throughout the surrounding area.

If you live in Boston and haven't been to SoWa yet, CHECK IT OUT.  The atmosphere is super relaxed, and I promise you will find something worth taking home with you.

Bostonians, what are your thoughts on SoWa?  Still enjoying the popularity of food trucks, or is the fad getting old?  Comment away!!

1 comment:

  1. I will never get sick of SoWa. I went to the Vintage market few weeks ago and met a bunch of wonderful vendors! :) http://summerinsea.com/tag/sowa-vintage-market/

    So fun! I love going in the winter because it's not crowded but I REALLY can't wait for the summer.

    ReplyDelete