Monday, April 9, 2012

Situation: #blackeyelinerproblems

How much more fierce could she possibly be?
These next two posts are dedicated to my best friends on campus, the Boston University Dance Team.  As I've probably mentioned before, either here on my blog or in casual face-to-face conversation, we're pretty.  Like... really pretty.  But we kinda have to be.  The big differences between dance team as a sport compared to typical "real" sports like basketball or lacrosse are that dance team members have to be attractive, graceful and perfect at all times.  At ALL times.  Including certain times when we think we've sprained our ankles, we're so sore from the last practice we're crying on the inside, and when we had rough days/weeks/months.  Big smiles, pretty faces and fluid movement mask any inkling that maybe we're a little "off."  So... back to being pretty.

With NDA Collegiate Nationals rapidly approaching (a.k.a. in TWO FREAKING DAYS OMGGG), the most glamourous and excessive event in Daytona Beach, Florida, I've decided an appropriate topic to discuss is makeup.  More specifically, my favorite item of makeup: liquid black eyeliner.


Liquid black eyeliner should be a staple in every girl's makeup collection.  Why?  Because it's so easy to throw on and make a bold statement.  You know I LOVE my "statements" (hint: see Situation: #fakejewelryproblems post), and liquid black eyeliner is the perfect timeless statement accessory.  Don't have time or patience to deal with blending eyeshadow?  Throw on liquid eyeliner.  Need something to distract from the quickly developing cold sore on your lip?  Throw on liquid eyeliner.  Boom.  Done.

If you think that using a black eyeliner pencil gives you the same drastic results that liquid eyeliner provides, you've been living under a rock for the past five years.  NOT even close.  Liquid eyeliner will always be bolder, cleaner and sharper than pencil eyeliner.


I switch between the cheap brands quite often, but one product I've especially liked is the Revlon ColorStay Liquid Liner in Blackest Black, $5.99 at CVS.  The eyeliner brush is small and easy to control, and it leaves you with a very smooth line across your eye.  It's been proven to last just as long as the $20 - $30 liquid eyeliner at Sephora, and it's just as easy to wash off at the end of the night.

If you're new to the Liquid Liner Life and you're having trouble with the smooth application (#shakyhandproblems), I feel ya.  It takes some practice and time to get used to it, but once you've applied it a few times and experimented with different line widths for your particular eye shape, it gets easier.  I've been using liquid liner since high school dance competitions, and I'm not very good or original with eye makeup, but I've gotten much better at putting it on.

Photography websites, like Pinterest, have more step-by-step picture directions if you're totally lost.  But let me tell you, it's SO worth the effort.

Do you have any favorite eyeliner brands?  Care to argue about pencil eyeliner versus liquid eyeliner?  Comment away!

2 comments:

  1. have you ever tried the gel eyeliner? if so what are your thoughts on it. could u do a video on liquid eyeline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! I've never tried the gel eyeliner.. My roommate swears by the eyeliner pots sold at stores like Sephora, but I like the look of liquid eyeliner better for your top eye. I use pencil eyeliner on the bottom of my eye as a casual look with mascara. I'll look into it though! And I'll try out another video!

      Delete