Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Situation: #buttonproblems

BU Dance Team update: we leave for Daytona Beach, Florida TOMORROW MORNING for the NDA/NCA Collegiate National Competition.  Please excuse my five-day blog hiatus I am about to take - I think my team will appreciate my full attention at Nationals.  I'll be back on my blog grind on Sunday.

As I was saying... #buttonproblems.

Rows on rows on rows...
Now that you've learned from my brilliant video masterpiece how to sew a button onto a piece of fabric, you should be informed as to where to find the most unique buttons around.  Yeah, you can find some cheap buttons at Michael's, one of my favorite craft stores back home, or any Walmart or Target type of store will have a small selection if you need some small, boring buttons.  "Boring" being the key word.  On the other hand, if you want something flashy, something oddly shaped, or something just plain epic, I only have one answer for you.  Mood Inc. in New York City.  It's a little slice of designer heaven.

Mood is the store that the contestants of Project Runway go and get their fabric and anything they could possibly need relating to fabric.  It's THAT good.  It's right in the middle of the Garment District, and you would never know the store was there unless you knew beforehand where you were going.  Back in high school, my mom and I were looking for fabric for one of my sewing classes in the Garment District and a very kind lady at a cheap fabric store mentioned to check out Mood.  My mom and I finally found it - after some very convoluted directions - and my life has never been the same.

So many buttons, such little time.
Besides an incredible selection of fabric, Mood has the largest selection of buttons I've ever seen.  Ranging from dime-sized buttons to buttons as large as your face, they have EVERY type of button you could dream of.  And, for a very popular fabric store located in New York City, the prices aren't half-bad.  As a high school or college student, you shouldn't go into Mood thinking you're going to buy 87 buttons for 50 different projects, but roughly about 10 buttons for a few bucks a piece.  The larger buttons are a bit more expensive, but those you wouldn't need to buy as much of anyway.  They have a million different shapes, shades of colors, two-hole and four-hole, no hole, cartoon characters, plastic, metal, stone, you name it.  The Mood staff is also more knowledgable about the products than anyone I've ever seen, so if you need help picking out buttons, be sure to ask someone working there.

A few buttons I've purchased:


The green cardigan is the sweater from my super-stellar video, and the large black and white button I sewed onto my black Betsey Johnson peacoat in place of a heart button that was there.

LOVE.  Love love love.  If you ever have the opportunity to go fabric or button shopping in New York City, Mood is a must-see.  For a fabric store that continuously receives new fabric, its website is super helpful and gives you a good sense of what the store has before you go.  Although I'm telling you, they have EVERYTHING you could possibly need.

Have you ever checked out Mood before?  Need help finding more button stores around New York and Boston?  Comment away!

3 comments:

  1. We loved reading this post! So glad we could make you happy, and please come back soon. --Meg at Mood

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you know of any neat button stores in Boston like Mood (since its all the way in NY)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I've only been to a few fabric stores in Boston, and the button selection isn't great. I've recently been to Sewfisticated in Somerville, and the fabric selection was decent, but the buttons weren't all that great. I'll be sure to do more research on cute buttons in Boston! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete