Sunday, April 1, 2012

Situation: #lipcolorproblems

I consider this blog post to be an extension of my last post, Situation: #chappedlipsproblems.  If you're like me - constantly applying lip balm to avoid the awk licking-of-the-lips move in public - you'll need all the cheap lip treatment blog posts you can get.  And you'll like it.

Lipstick.  It's been said that lipstick originated in ancient Mesopotamia almost 5,000 years ago when the women of the Babylonian city of Ur mixed crushed semi-precious stones with a paste and applied it on their lips to add color.  Sounds nasty, but impressive for those old-school broads.  Evidence has also been found that women in the Indus valley civilization applied red color on their lips, and in ancient Rome, women who belonged to the upper class used lip colors that they made at home.

Blah blah blah.  It's cool and all that the ancient ladies wore lipstick, but let's be real - it wasn't cool until Hollywood made it cool (just like every other trend).

Ugh. I will always be obsessed with her.
Being a dancer who spent close to 18 years at a studio (in which yearly recitals required pounds of makeup), I like lipstick.  Especially red lipstick.  Nothing reads better from a stage than a dancer performing wearing red lipstick.  It's drastic, feminine and eye-catching, and lipstick looks great on just about any girl.

Personally, I find that it's hard for me to add it to an outfit when I already want to wear a big statement necklace and drastic heels.  My solution is quite simple: tinted lip balm.


Burt's Bees, a well-known lip balm brand, makes one of the best tinted lip balms I've ever tried.  When I go out, I find it easier to throw on some Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Rose (6.99 at CVS) as a last-minute ordeal before I leave my apartment.  The color isn't as bold as red lipstick, but it adds a pop of color to your lips while moisturizing them at the same time, and the color lasts just as long as your newly-moisturized lips.  And, unlike lipstick, it's easy to take off before you go to sleep.

And the packaging is cute too!!
A few of the other shades are cute too, like Pink Blossom and Red Dahlia.  Like all chapsticks, the tinted lip balm lasts just as long so it's totally worth the $7.  Plus the shea butter and "botanical waxes" make your lips feel oh so good, especially in the dead of winter when your lips are a hot cracked mess.

Have any other cheap-ish tinted lip balms I should know about?  Know of any other long-lasting lip color products?  Comment away!

No comments:

Post a Comment