Thursday, April 5, 2012

Do it Yourself, Betch!

I used to be WAY into arts and crafts back in middle school and high school.  I started with simple crafts like card making for friends' birthdays, moved into the harder stuff once I learned how to sew in high school, and somehow managed to score my dream internship at Subversive Jewelry experimenting with jewelry creations.  I sewed this dress as my final project in Sewing for Fashion at my high school, and I've been proud of it since.

My friends and I at the Sex and The City midnight premiere circa 2008, I was obviously Charlotte...


Impressive, right?!

By request of a very special "anonymous" comment on my blog, I've decided to write a how-to to make your own decorative sandals.  With the weather getting warmer and all, I'm starting to look into buying an entirely new summer wardrobe (like who wants to wear the same clothes/shoes/bags as they did last summer? NOT me), and new sandals are at the top of the list.  My Havaianas and Rainbows are on their last legs, and I know I'm going to do some major shopping damage once Nationals season is over.  Creating your own unique pair of sandals will make you feel THAT much cooler when you go to the beach this summer and one of your friends asks you where you bought those super cute sandals.  Betch, I MADE them!

WHAT YOU NEED:

  • Hot glue gun OR super glue - I have this one from Michael's
  • Pins, buttons, fake pearls, little knick-knacks you can find at vintage markets, etc.
  • Cheap-o pair of rubber flip-flops - I suggest the ones at Old Navy because they're like $4 and they come in every color you could possibly imagine
WHAT TO DO:

Easy.  GET CREATIVE.  Think about what type of "theme" you want your sandals to have, like pearls and rhinestones on a hot pink pair of flip flops because you're a princess or brown, beige and grey buttons on a brown pair because you're artsy.  It's all about what you wear the most in the summer and what color schemes you're into.

Take each little pearl or button or charm and glue them individually to the strap of the flip flop.  Do this all the way around the strap, and do the same to the other sandal without using all of the same colors or shapes of trinkets.  Let the glue dry overnight, and they should be ready to wear the following day.








Here's some inspiration from Havaianas, Vera Bradley, and Aldo Shoes.  You can make these!!!!

Things to consider:
  • Don't go knick-knack-overboard.  Sometimes less is more!  It might look nicer to have a few charms crowded in one place or one flower in the center of the strap on each sandal than having a ton of busy charms all over your foot.
  • On that note, take in account the weight or size of the craft pieces you want to put on your sandals.  Heavy items may work if you only use a few and if they lay flat on the strap, but have a back-up plan just in case they don't work out.
Have fun with it, play it up, put things on and take things off before the glue hardens, go wild.  I'm planning on making a pair soon, so I'll post mine when I do.  TRY IT OUT, and let me know what you think!!!

3 comments:

  1. are these all pics of ones youve created?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they're just examples from Havaianas, Aldo and Vera Bradley, but they can be easily made with a few craft accessories and a hot glue gun.

      Delete