Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Situation: #patrioticproblems

He went to my high school, I'm allowed to make fun of him.
Every year when July 3rd comes around, I find myself totally stumped for a July 4th get-up.  Every year I think I have something in my wardrobe that is perfect for the occasion, and the night before the holiday, I look through my clothes and realize I have nothing.  Nuh-thing.  The American flag bathing suit is soOoOo 2000, the stars and stripes tee shirts are unoriginal, and don't even get me started with the flag-dress.  It's a flag, it's not supposed to be wrapped around your body as a fashion statement with a skinny belt.  Spilling your red solo cup of beer on that and you're basically disrespecting America.  And I'm not about to head to Walmart for a $5 bald eagle tee like my friend Dom Mazzetti (no offense, I just couldn't pull it off like you do...).  Hilarious, but not for me.

This year, I've turned to Pinterest.  You know, that up-and-coming social media website that sorority girls are obsessed with but what boys think is for lame housewives.  I'm not on the website all that much, but when I do, I'm on for probably an average of five hours.  It's like crack.  I don't even think I'm using the website to its fullest, but I've found amazing arts and crafts and fashion inspiration within the past few days that I would love to share with you.  Especially because they're all 4th of July related.

I haven't tried any of them yet, but I'm thinking about it with my afternoon basically free besides some blueberry beer and watermelon margaritas closer to 3pm.  Here are my favorite Pinterest 4th of July crafts:


Braided Back T-Shirt, courtesy of Brooke Long



Stars and Stripes Shorts, courtesy of Atavia Rochille


American Flag Tank, courtesy of Jolene Del Toro


Lace Shorts, courtesy of Sofia Do Carmo


What do you think - super cute or super tacky?  How else do you rep your country's colors?  Comment away!

NEW EDIT: As I mentioned, I tried one of the crafts yesterday, and it went REALLY well.  It only took me about a half hour (because I couldn't figure out how much of the shirt to cut).  Here are a few pictures!  Hope you try it out yourself!




6 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,

    I commented on your blog before about jobs. How is the job search going? Any luck? Also, I really like the shirt you made, is there a link to a how to page for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Kelly! I'm currently still looking/applying for a full-time job, but thanks for asking! I found this blog (http://www.es-toyaqui.com/2011/06/heres-how-diy-braided-back-shirt.html) and I didn't like all the braided straps, so I adjusted it to just make it a T-back. Try it out and let me know how it goes!

      Delete
    3. just checked the website out, how did you make your braid without the braided straps along the sides?

      Delete
    4. I cut out the collar, then the back of the shirt into a )( shape, braided it, then cut most of the back out, cut the T straps, braided them, and then sewed the T intersection together by hand.

      Delete
  2. i LOVE the shorts with the stars on them! wish i stumbled upon this before the holiday but im definitely going to try making those. great post!

    ReplyDelete