Friday, July 13, 2012

Situation: #humidityproblems

Beach 6: A slice of heaven.
As much as I love Boston and call it my home and everything, my least favorite part about living in Boston these past two summers is The Humidity Factor.  It.  Is.  Awfuuuuul.  Maybe it's the fact that I'm a Jersey girl and my father conveniently has a beach house in Point Pleasant Beach right off the boardwalk, I can not stand the east coast's summer heat unless I'm laying (a.k.a. passed out and baking in tanning oil) on the Jersey shore.  Specifically, Beach 6.  That refreshing, cool breeze right off the Atlantic Ocean, 88 degrees with few clouds in the sky.  Sigghhhh.  Every single Jersey girl knows what I'm talking about.

My hair has been a major problem since I've decided to grow out my short bob haircut, and the in-between stage is just terrible.  As often as I see Refinery29 and Fashionista.com put out articles about how sophisticated and stylish "The Long Bob" can be, I manage to look sufficiently awkward with my hair down.  Unless it's a REALLY good day.  And, let me tell you, humid days are NOT good days.  And, most days of the east coast summer are humid days.

My solution: the ballerina bun.



It's versatile.  It's classic.  It takes no more than five minutes.  It saves you any type of straightening frustration.  And it's PERFECT for a humid summer day in Boston, the Jersey shore, or wherever you want to be this season.  As a former ballerina, I know it takes about 300 bobby pins to secure the perfect bun, but since I don't whip my head back and forth on the daily (as I assume not many people do), all you need is a hair elastic and a few bobby pins to fix it into place.  Because I have some shorter hairs in the back, I put my bun in and then secure my shorter hair to the back of my head with bobby pins in the X shape, and hairspray the shit out of it (like any girl from New Jersey would).

Another good point about the ballerina bun is that your hair doesn't have to be stick straight to do it.  SO, if you shower at night, you can let your hair air dry overnight and then put it up in the morning.  Dealing with a blowdryer in the summer is torture, and the ballerina bun saves you the hassle (and the sweat) of dealing with hot air.  If you have curly hair, try leaving your hair a bit loose and secure a tight bun on the top of your head.  SUPER cute.

Total cost of a ballerina bun up-do:

  • One hair elastic = less than $1.00
  • Approx. ten bobby pins = less than $1.00
  • One can of hair spray (my fave: AquaNet Super Hold Unscented) = $2.99
  • TOTAL: $4.99
Not too shabby, eh?

What do you think of the ballerina bun?  What are some other ideas for awkward hair on a humid, summer afternoon?  Comment away!

8 comments:

  1. i usually do a variation of the bun. a low side bun with a braid across the front. its really cute for rainy days too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your necklaces in the first two pictures, especially the first one! Where are they from if you don't me asking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! The first one was from Anthropologie that I received as a high school graduation present, and the second one was from Bobbles and Lace, a small boutique in Boston!

      Delete
  3. Where is your bag from in the last pic? ive been looking for a bag similar to that to carry around school but havent found the right one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Lauren! I bought the bag from a small boutique that used to be on the BU campus but recently closed. You may want to check out Urban Outfitters, Piperlime or ASOS for similar styles!

      Delete
    2. will do! thanks!love ur blog by the way!

      Delete
  4. Hi Nicole! I was browsing through your blog and when I saw the above comment I was thinking a good blog idea (although I am sure you already have many from others) would be one on stylish bags for school (as an alternative to a bookbag). Just a suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! That's a great suggestion, it's going on my Blog Ideas list as we speak. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete