Friday, January 4, 2013

Situation: #brandproblems

A very happy new year, recessionistas!  My sincerest apologies for the lack of blog posts this past month.  This year, instead of being my usual cheap self, I splurged on my holiday presents, and therefore had nothing to write about.  I hope you all had a lovely holiday, and I hope Santa brought you exactly what you wanted!  Or, at least some gift receipts.

My poor puppy. Such a good sport.
Now that it's the new year, I'm suddenly really into this whole "resolutions" thing.  Reading Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project  recently inspired me to make small changes to my life to ultimately increase my own happiness, and what better way to begin than by drafting my own resolutions list.  While I still haven't really finished my 2013 list (it's in the makings, I swear!), one resolution I'm certain will make the cut is Trying New Things.  New workouts, new food, new people, new wine, and new brands.  Seems easy enough, right?  As a city girl, I'm always about having the most choices (which restaurant should I eat at tonight out of the MILLIONS in Manhattan??), and that is why this business is so absolutely genius.

Birchbox.  Ever heard of it?  If not, let me introduce you.  Launched in 2010, Birchbox is a business that sends a box of hand-selected samples right to your door for $10 a month.  The company describes itself on its website as "redefining the retail process by offering consumers a unique and personalized way to discover, learn about, and shop the best beauty, grooming, and lifestyle products on the market."  Brilliant.  Just brilliant.

It's not just for women, either.  While the women's subscriptions offer skincare and makeup products, the men's subscriptions offer everything from grooming supplies to fun socks to tech accessories.  If you fall in love with one of the samples (as you're sure to do so since they ROCK), you can purchase the full-size product right on the Birchbox website.  So easy.  Then there's the loyalty program that rewards you every time you shop, refer friends, and give feedback on samples.  They also have a Best of 2012 list, $25 and Under list, and a Bonus Shop.  Finally, free shipping on orders over $50.  I literally can't find anything wrong with it.

Birchbox is a fantastic idea for birthday presents and other random gifts (what a great way to suck up to someone even after gift giving season is over!) because it's super cheap and, seriously, who doesn't like beauty samples?  I haven't signed up YET, but I'm seriously considering it.

What do you think?  Good idea to have beauty samples sent to you, or are you brand loyal?  What else is on your resolutions list?  Comment away!

6 comments:

  1. Do you have any brand suggestions of eye liners for the bottom of the eye, the water line. I have tried a few but I find that alot of them smudge or ware off.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, thanks for your comment! I use cheap eyeliner from Duane Reade, I prefer pencil eyeliner as opposed to the clay stuff. Right now I have Maybelline Line Express eyeliner, but I switch it up from time to time. I usually apply eyeliner on my bottom lid before I put mascara on, but I think it stays on better if you apply it after the mascara. Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I have problems with smudging when I put eyeliner on the water line. Do you experience that or have any tips to combat it? Thanks!

      Delete
    3. I haven't run into this problem too often, but make sure your eyeliner pencil is sharpened to a point and that you're applying the eyeliner as smoothly as possible. You may want to change up the eyeliner just to make sure it's not the specific brand that just sucks.

      Delete
  2. when can we expect another post?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully tomorrow, if not then this weekend! My apologies, my life has been a whirlwind. Thank you for your continued interest and support!

      Delete