Thursday, September 27, 2012

Do It Yourself: Proenza-Inspired Wrap Skirt

Living in New York City 40 blocks away from Lincoln Center, where Fashion Week took place, and not being able to go to any shows was a hugeeee bummer.  I followed Fashionista.com and Refinery29 religiously throughout the week to check out all the action I was missing, including the show-goer attire, and came across my favorite fall color trend: oxblood.  It was EVERYWHERE.  I HAD to have it.

I've been a fan of DIY projects since, well, forever.  There's just something about wearing an original piece of jewelry or accessory or clothing that makes you feel GOOD.  Like really good.  Especially when someone stops and asks you where it's from, and you say with dignity, "Oh, I made it myself!"  When I saw this blog post featured on Refinery29, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  I was going to hand-sew myself a wrap skirt in my new favorite oxblood color.

SPOILER ALERT: It happened.


Please note: the lighting in my room is just terrible, but it is indeed the same skirt!

The blogger behind A Pair and A Spare is an Aussie girl, and her blog is just fabulous.  Her DIY's are ridiculously amazing and her sense of fashion is stunning.  Oh, and she's adorable.  SO, I gave it a whirl, and having not sewn a clothing item together since Intermediate Sewing sophomore year of high school, it came out pretty decent.

The original blog post, "DIY Proenza Schouler Inspired Wrap Skirt," can be found here.

So, why am I bragging about this skirt project?  1. Originality is priceless, and 2. The total project cost me about $50, with everything bought from Mood Fabrics in NYC.  A Proenza wrap skirt is how much, you may ask?  Well, this skirt from Barney's is $4,450, so you get the idea.


The most important part of this project was pinning and trying it on, pinning and trying it on, and pinning and trying it on.  Because I hand-sewed the skirt as opposed to using a sewing machine, I flipped the hem over about a quarter inch and then over again another inch so that the hem wouldn't fray.  Also, I used four snaps, instead of the blogger's suggestion of two or three.


Things I liked about the project:
  • Originality. Duh.
  • Listening to new music + sewing something new = how to spend the perfect Saturday afternoon
  • Now I have a brand new skirt! Yay!
Things I didn't like about the project:
  • The blogger claims it's one of the easiest projects she's ever done, but honestly, it took me forever.  Could be that I havent sewn in a long time and after I pinned the hem all the way around I had to re-pin it to double-roll the fabric.
  • Trying to measure the skirt length and all that is HARD.  I pretty much eyeballed the whole project, and if I didn't have an eye for balance and precision, the project would have looked a lot worse.
  • One of the hardest parts was sewing the "V"s in the back of the skirt.  It's a lot of Trial and Error.

Alas, the finished product.




I'm thinking two outfits: 1. Oversized grey sweater over the skirt, big necklace, tights, brown boots.  And 2. Black long-sleeved shirt tucked into the skirt, big necklace, black tights, black boots.

Do you think you'd take the time to do this project yourself, or spend your $50 on a skirt elsewhere without the DIY hassle?  Comment away!

13 comments:

  1. I loveeeeee this color, I'm obsessed with it this fall. This is so cute make me one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole, this comment is unrelated to this post (sorry!) But I was wondering where you usually get boots from? I have larger feet (like you) but I am on a budget and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on boots for the fall. Do you know of any stores or online sites with boots for larger feet at a reasonable price? Or where are your favorite places to get boots? I tried piperlime but those are running over $100 for the cute ones =(..

    Help please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn! First, I would check out Zappos, as they sometimes have cute/trendy boots for larger size shoes at a reasonable price. Other times, they aren't so trendy or chic, but it's definitely worth checking out. Otherwise, I'd wait for sales on Gilt or RueLaLa for boots where you can search by size, or check out sites like Nasty Gal, Pixie Market or ASOS who sometimes have larger sized shoes. Some sites like Refinery29 have like a $50 for $100 for a specific designer, and sometimes it's a shoe designer worth looking at. My last few boot purchases were from Zappos and an ALDO sale!

      Delete
  3. Also with my height (I am 5'9) I have a hard time finding jeans that are comfortable and not flimsy (like Forever21, biggest jean mistake ever!) that don't cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions there? I love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last few jeans purchases have been the "jegging" type that I've bought from Bobbles & Lace in Boston, but I haven't bought a real pair of jeans in forever. I'm on the lookout for a great reasonable pair, and I'll post them on here once I find it!!! The place I'm going to look first: Levi's.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the replies! I went and picked up some Levi's from Macys today. As far as the boots I found decent priced ones for my huge feet at macys, dsw and on shoe dazzle for less than $70 a pair. Here are the links in case you were looking for some or anyone else is. (Hope you don't mind). I really want a black and brown pair for the fall any suggestions from the ones I picked? In some of the pics you've posted I see you have great style so I'd like your opinion. I usually wear converse and chucks but I am trying to switch my look up. Sorry to be a bother!

      http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/chinese-laundry-shoes-nice-shot-tall-boots?ID=717450&CategoryID=25122&LinkType=#fn=SIZE%3D11%26sp%3D2%26spc%3D708

      http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/karen-scott-shoes-delano-boots?ID=737486&CategoryID=25122#fn=SIZE%3D11%26sp%3D2%26spc%3D708

      http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/rampage-shoes-idaho-riding-boots?ID=713506&CategoryID=25122&LinkType=#fn=SIZE%3D11%26sp%3D2%26spc%3D708

      http://www.shoedazzle.com/products/FANESIA#420

      http://www.shoedazzle.com/products/HEIDE-1#420

      http://www.dsw.com/shoe/unisa+tiffany+riding+boot?prodId=251757&activeCats=dsw12cat1740002,dsw12cat1740052,dsw12cat1730006

      http://www.dsw.com/shoe/diba+hilary+boot?prodId=253911&activeCats=dsw12cat1740002,dsw12cat1740052,dsw10cat70017


      Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it! Your awesome! I'm gonna tell everyone on facebook about your blog!

      Delete
    3. These are fantastic!!! My two favorites are the Fanesia boots from Shoe Dazzle and the Unisa Tiffany Riding Boots from DSW (although they're pretty similar!) I'm so glad you found some great choices, and thank you for your comments! Good luck boot searching!

      Delete
  4. Did you use a sewing machine for this? or sewed by hand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sewed this skirt by hand, but it's recommended that you use a sewing machine just because it's faster and easier to do the hem. It's possible, but takes longer. I don't have the room in my apartment for a sewing machine so I do everything by hand!

      Delete
    2. how long did it take you total to complete the skirt?

      Delete
    3. I spread out my project over a few days, but I'd say probably 10 hours total. It took me a long time to keep putting the skirt fabric around my hips and measuring where I was going to put the snaps and the "V" in the back of the skirt because I wasn't really measuring.

      Delete
  5. I do not know if you answered this in a previous blog post but do you know of any good fabric stores in Boston?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been to one fabric store in Boston (actually, in Somerville, which you'd have to drive to) called Sewfisticated (sewfisticated.com) and it's decent. Might be worth taking a bus trip to NYC if you want great fabric for a great project! I only looked for lace at Sewfisticated, and I didn't look around the whole store for the fabric selection.

      Delete