Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Do It Yourself: Chain Tote

First things first, a video of a labrador puppy named Tugger playing with a doorstop.  Enjoy amongst yourselves.


So apparently it was a "thing" to go through many different stages growing up.  I, however cool I may seem to all my fans out there, was no exception.  (I also feel like I've written about this before, and may have mentioned my radically cool-at-the-time NIKKI name plate belt - what I look back at now as a very poor purchase decision.)  I went through this punk rock stage circa 2003 (ish) and I LOVED IT.  Hot Topic was the coolest store ever, Linkin Park was the coolest band ever, and boys in skinny jeans and studded belts were the cutest boys ever.

I'm pretty SUPER happy that the "punk rock" trend (i.e. studs and chains and ish) has made its comeback.  I'm absolutely loving the "everything studs" look on leather jackets, flats, and intense shoulder pads on sweaters.  This Zara sweater with leather sleeves is EVERYTHING.  I've also been noticing more and more purses and scarves with chains incorporated into them, and I realized just how easy it would be to make myself.

I present: my chain tote.



Things you need:

  1. Tote bag with outside pockets
  2. Different shape/length/color chains
  3. Hot glue gun
  4. Needle and thread (for reinforcement)
I pretty much only used my hot glue gun, but some of the larger and heavier chains didn't hold as well, so I reinforced with some thread.  All in all, 15 minutes later and my bag was finito.

Because I'm oh so helpful (and because this particular army green bag was purchased around 2004 from H&M before the store was cool), I've found some cheap Target bags that would be perfect for this DIY project here.




Besides these Target pieces, I didn't find many other totes with outside pockets, so it may be useful to check out thrift stores and second-hand stores as well.  As far as chains go, Michaels has inexpensive smaller chains, and for my NYC recessionistas, check out the trimming stores in the Garment District for heavy-duty unique chains.  (My favorite store is Pacific Trimmings on 38th between 7th and 8th Aves, where I bought feathers for my Halloween costume this year and sew-on gems for this R29 sweatshirt DIY project.)



What do you think?  Are you a fan of the studs and chains trend?  Thinking about taking on this DIY project?  Comment away!

4 comments:

  1. Very cute bag!

    You mentioned how your style has evolved and I do remember reading in a blog post about the different phases you have gone through. How would you describe your style now? And what is your style philosophy?

    Just curious =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I don't really have a style philosophy... and my style now is ever changing. Simple meets trendy chic meets Jersey beach girl meets bohemian meets very large necklaces...

      Delete
  2. Could you post a picture of the R29 DIY sweatshirt? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be writing a post about my bejeweled sweatshirt project, so check back soon! If you check out the R29 link and check out the picture, I used a similar grey crewneck sweatshirt and bought black and clear gems to sew on.

      Delete